Re: Need help with revelation

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 09:00:40PM +0000, bd@bc-bd.org wrote:
> I have been maintaining revelation in the past, a GNOME2 Password manager. I
> will most likely orphan this package because:
>
> 	- I no longer use revelation
> 	- I don't have a sponsor right now
> 	- Upstream is discontinued since, Tuesday 16. January 2007 11:44
>
> There are a couple of bugs left, for some of them I do have an upload ready,
> which you can dget from:
>
> 	http://bc-bd.org/www/revelation/revelation_0.4.11-4.dsc
>
> Please note that the above release does not include a NMU, 0.4.11-3.1, which is
> currently in sid and lenny.
>
> Simply removing the package may be a bad idea, as people who are using
> revelation will then no longer be able to access their password lists.
>
> Additionally upstream is looking for someone to take over the stable branch
> development, aka. bug fixing etc.
>
> Maybe somebody on this list wants to take over maintaining revelation, or even
> better, maintaining upstream.

If the package does not have any important bugs, I do not think you should ask
for removing it from the archive.
I would suggest you orphan it in the pending upload you have, then file a
orphaning bug. In this mail mention that is dead upstream and whoever adopts it
will have to take care of the upstream part too. Then somebody who uses
revelation and is interested in the package will have the chance of adopting
it.
If in 3-4 months, the package is still orphan, then maybe it should be filed
for removal. You should include this info in the orphaning mail too, and
likely somebody working on QA, will ask for its removal if it is not adopted.
(Or you can do it too :) )

Ana