Re: pyinstall: A New Hope

Matthias Klose <doko@cs.tu-berlin.de> writes:

> > I'd be interested to know people's experiences with trying it out
> > for packaging Python distributions for Debian.
>
> how would it help? a Python distribution is a set of source/binary
> packages which we do package separately.

I think you've fallen prey to the unfortunate terminology differences
between Python and operating systems.

In Python, a "package" is what's available for run-time import; it's a
namespace available on the system which contains modules ready for
import <URL:http://docs.python.org/dist/python-terms.html>. It's not
the same thing as an operating system "package".

In Python, a "distribution" is a collection of modules and packages
distributed in source or binary form. It's what Debian would call a
"package" <URL:http://docs.python.org/dist/distutils-term.html>.

The "pyinstall" project is a means for dealing with Python
distributions; it is analogous to (and in fact is built upon, and aims
to improve on) "distutils" and "setuptools".

Sorry for any confusion.

--
 \      “Reichel's Law: A body on vacation tends to remain on vacation |
  `\            unless acted upon by an outside force.” —Carol Reichel |