pyinstall: A New Hope

Howdy all,

Ian Bicking, who has been wrestling for some time with Python and
packaging issues, has released the tool "pyinstall".

    Have you ever been frustrated by easy_install? Yeah, me neither.
    But I have heard whispers of discontent.

    So I'm introducing a new tool for the installation of Python
    packages: pyinstall.

    pyinstall is mostly easy_install compatible. That means it finds
    distributions in the same way as easy_install and it installs
    packages via setuptools. If you are familiar with easy_install
    you'll know how to use pyinstall right away. This is not a
    repudiation of the mechanisms of easy_install, but a refinement.
    What does it refine?
    […]

    <URL:http://www.openplans.org/projects/topp-engineering/blog/2008/09/24/pyinstall-a-new-hope/>

pyinstall is available in the Cheese Shop
<URL:http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyinstall>.

I'd be interested to know people's experiences with trying it out for
packaging Python distributions for Debian.

--
 \          “I spent all my money on a FAX machine. Now I can only FAX |
  `\                                          collect.” —Steven Wright |