Re: Debian Python developers, make your packaging concerns known

Matthias Klose <doko@cs.tu-berlin.de> writes:

> Ben Finney writes:
> > I have no knowledge of *what* the problems are; I only know that
> > there are people in this group who persistently complain about how
> > Python's current packaging practices are broken with respect to
> > Debian packaging.
>
> the discussion on the python-dev and distutils-sig ML's is about
> packaging of eggs, not Python packaging in general.

It's moved on from that. An explicit request to discuss Python
packaging has been made (in a new thread started today).

    <URL:http://mid.gname.org/47E19F22.5000600@taupro.com>
    From: Jeff Rush <jeff@taupro.com>
    Subject: Request for Input re Packaging
    Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 18:17:54 -0500

    In researching the state of packaging, I've been reading the archives and all
    the bug reports filed against distutils.

    I'd like though to get some examples of particularly troublesome uses of
    setup.py, to pull together and propose some changes to make their use case a
    bit easier.  So far such cases I've been made aware of are Twisted, numpy and
    SciPy.  If you know of a tough case where the developer had to jump through
    hoops to make it work, please point me to it.

    I'd also like to get suggestions of improvements to PyPI, which I've not seen
    much discussion about. [...]

Again: if *anyone* involved with packaging Python modules or
applications for Debian has *any* suggestions for changes that would
make things easier in Debian, please join that thread and contribute.

Now is the time.

--
 \       “Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion |
  `\              is answers that may never be questioned.” —anonymous |