Debian Python developers, make your packaging concerns known (was: Current distutils-sig discussion on package management)

Ben Finney <ben@benfinney.id.au> writes:

> The Python distutils-sig group is currently discussing the topic of
> package management, how setuptools interacts with package managers,
> and what changes are desirable as a result.
>
>     <URL:http://mid.gmane.org/20080317000630.735823A40B0@sparrow.telecommunity.com>
>     [...]
>
> I urge anyone who's had problems getting Python setuptools and
> Debian package management working together, to join this discussion
> so that your issues can be considered in whatever changes ensue.

To reiterate: This discussion is happening *now*. If ever you have
looked at Python packaging (e.g. distutils or setuptools) and said
"no, *no*, NO!", then this is the time to get involved so that changes
can be made for the better.

I have no knowledge of *what* the problems are; I only know that there
are people in this group who persistently complain about how Python's
current packaging practices are broken with respect to Debian
packaging.

    <URL:http://mid.gmane.org/ca471dc20803191423x7511364hf9df8b5edfd9c4b4@mail.gmail.com>
    From: "Guido van Rossum" <guido@python.org>
    Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 14:23:26 -0700

    I'm back at Google and *really* busy for another week or so, so
    I'll have to postpone the rest of this discussion for a while. If
    other people want to chime in please do so; if this is just a
    dialog between Phillip and me I might incorrectly assume that
    nobody besides Phillip really cares.

Please, if you have suggestions for what Python packaging could do
better, and improve Debian packaging of Python packages, *now* is the
time to join that discussion over at the distutils-sig.

--
 \         “I was gratified to be able to answer promptly and I did. I |
  `\       said I didn't know.” —Mark Twain, _Life on the Mississippi_ |