Re: handling /usr/local/lib/python2.x/site-packages in sys.path

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 08:43:06AM +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:

> Currently Debian's python has /usr/local/lib/python2.x/site-packages
> in sys.path allowing for installation of local modules.  Barry did
> point out that this conflicts with a python installation, where
> /usr/local is the default prefix, and the system python gets modules
> from the local installation.  Some suggestions were made to fix this:

Well, I would expect that package I install in /usr/local are found
automatically by the standard Python install. I think locally installing
packages is a far more common use case than installing a hand-compiled
python. It would be very unusual and inconvenient if installing modules
with "python setup.py --prefix=/usr/local" wouldn't work with the
standard Python installation.

 - Sebastian