Re: Where to install non-debianized python modules?

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 10:11:34 +0200, Gregor Gorjanc wrote:
> I am a total newbie to Python and I am confused with installation of
> non-debianized python modules? I am trying to install PyPedal[1] module.
> It has several dependencies and I have found most of them as debian
> packages for which I am really grateful to you folks! I am left with a
> list of three modules that are not debianized i.e.: pythondoc, testoob
> and PyPedal. How should these be installed so that I will not mess up my
> Debian installation? If I simply use the following
>
> wget
> http://puzzle.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/pypedal/
PyPedal-2.0.0b21.tar.gz

> ## This should be now general
> tar -xzvvf PyPedal-*
> cd PyPedal-*
> python setup.py install
>
> I will end up with messing the system stuff. Which flag should I use
> --home, --debian, --prefix, ... to properly separate local installation.
>
> I appologize if this is trivial, but I was not able to find any relevant
> info on the web.
>
> Thank you!
>
> [1]http://pypedal.sourceforge.net/

Try: python setup.py --prefix=/usr/local

More info is available in "Installing Python Modules", available at /usr/
share/doc/python/html/inst/ if you install the python-doc package, or
online at <http://docs.python.org/inst/inst.html>.

Regards,

--
Sam Morris
http://robots.org.uk/

PGP key id 1024D/5EA01078
3412 EA18 1277 354B 991B  C869 B219 7FDB 5EA0 1078