Re: Joining the team and RFS python-avc

Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le lundi 05 novembre 2007 à 15:40 +0100, Piotr Ożarowski a écrit :
>> Hi Fabrizio
>>
>>> I am looking for sponsorship for my new python module: python-avc,
>>>    ITP http://bugs.debian.org/448646,
>>>    mentors http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/p/python-avc.
>> * remove "Provides: ${python:Provides}" - architecture independent
>> packages don't need it
>
> Of course they do. What if a package Depends: python2.5, python2.5-avc?

No, they don't.

Please get the _official_ Python Policy fixed and such requirements
included if you like to have them. Neither the wiki nor Manoj's home are
the appropriate place for that. Coming up with random requirements or
undocumented things here is not the way to go.

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianPython/NewPolicy requires Provides:
${python:Provides} in two cases:
- if the package used to build pythonX.Y-foo binary packages
(the package didn't exist before, so I never built such packages)
- if your package provides public extensions.
(no extensions here - please note that it defines an extension as .so
file some lines above)

http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/ch-module_packages.html#s-specifying_versions
says:

2.5 Provides

Provides in packages of the form python-foo must be specified, if the
package contains an extension for more than one python version. Provides
should also be added on request of maintainers who depend on a
non-default python version.

--> Same here - contains an _extension_. An arch:all package doesn't
ship extensions. The policy defines extensions in the same way as the
wiki does.

Not to forget that the policy is still outdated.

Even Manoj's start of a new policy document says the same:
http://people.debian.org/~srivasta/manoj-policy/x316.html#AEN469

Public pure Python modules that have a subset of all python versions
supported, or for public extensions, the Provides field indicates which
versions of Python are supported (for which one may import  the module).
For every version of python supported the package should provide
pythonX.Y-foo packages. This assumes that the package correctly depends
on all the appropriate versions of any version specific module that it
itself requires.

--> We neither have an extension here, nor does it support a _subset_ of
Python versions.

I'd suggest it's time to replace the more than outdated policy by
Manoj's new version, which seems to be fine (didn't read everything yet).

--
Bernd Zeimetz
<bernd@bzed.de>                         <http://bzed.de/>