Re: Packaging software for Cheeseshop and Debian

On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 10:06 +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:

> This isn't because it's /usr/bin, it's because the file is the main
> executable. Python only auto-compiles imported modules, not the
> executable itself (i.e. the script on the python command line):

I noticed this a while back.  I am the only one that finds this strange?
Why should one pay a the price of re-compiling the executable script
every time but not other files that end in .py?  Why the special
case?  Doesn't the main script get "imported" at some level? It seems
like a random inconsistency.

Sorry for being slightly off topic, I guess this message would be better
directed at the python list.

--
sam clegg
:: sam@superduper.net :: http://superduper.net/ :: PGP : D91EE369