Re: Packaging software for Cheeseshop and Debian

On Mon, 2007-10-22 at 10:09 +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> Unfortunately, it doesn't run, failing with an ImportError. The
> modules are not installed to '/usr/lib/pythonX.Y/...', but only to
> '/usr/share/pycentral/gracie/site-packages/gracie/' which isn't on the
> system path for Python modules.
>
> A 'find /' for the modules shows that they *only* exist in that
> location. Isn't 'python-central' supposed to automatically put them in
> the version-specific locations?

I develop and package webcheck [0] (a python application with private
modules). I put all stuff in /usr/share/webcheck and use python-support
for compiling the stuff there. I ship an /usr/bin/webcheck symlink
to /usr/share/webcheck/webcheck.py. This seems to work fine.

> > I don't know if setuptools or distutils supports packaging private
> > modules.
>
> Then what is meant by the Python policy speaking of such things?

I have only recently had a look at distutils [1] and have the impression
that it is only meant for stuff that should end up in the system python
path (please correct me if I'm wrong).

[0] http://packages.debian.org/webcheck
[1] http://www.python.org/doc/2.4/dist/dist.html

--