Re: Packaging for Cheeseshop and Debian

Hi,

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007, Ben Finney wrote:
> > Check the part concerning eegs.
>
> The page says:
>
>     Adding "egg support" is only required in some specific cases: when
>     another software uses the python module via an egg and when this
>     egg support is not yet integrated upstream."
>
> What is meant by "this egg support is not yet integrated upstream"?

You have two ways to install python modules:
- the traditional distutils
- the eggs-powered setuptools

> Does this refer to the "upstream" of the package which depends, or the
> packages upon which it depends, or both?

The latter. A module that uses "eggs" to load another module is certainly
egg-ready itself. However if the dependency isn't egg-ready, then the
package expecting an egg of its dependency will be broken unless we add
the egg support to its dependency.

> What would need to be done upstream for this criterion to change?

Switch from distutils to setuptools as shown with the example patch.

Raphaël Hertzog