Packaging for Cheeseshop and Debian

Howdy all,

I'm writing an application[0] in Python, and am nearly at the point
where I want to package it. I need to do so in a way that's useful to
me, so that means a Debian package; and useful to anyone using Python,
so that means a Python egg available in the Cheeseshop.

I have some idea about doing each of those, but no real clues about
packaging for both Python's Cheeseshop and a Debian package
simultaneously. Where should I start learning about the issues and
recommendations?

I'd also like to discuss strategies for adding both Debian and Python
packaging information when keeping the source in a version-control
system, but that should probably be a separate thread.

[0]: a small HTTP-accessible helper application

--
 \     "I was stopped by the police for speeding; they said 'Don't you |
  `\   know the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?' I said 'Yeah I know, |