Re: dpkg-repack warnings: what effect?

> Le lun 24 juillet 2006 19:52, Adeodato Sim=C3=B3 a =C3=A9crit :
> > * Pierre Habouzit [Mon, 24 Jul 2006 17:11:14 +0200]:
> > > just FYI, it's not mandatory [XB-Python-Version], one can use
> > > debian/pyversions instead (with python-support).
> >
> > Hm. I can see how debian/pyversions can substitute XS-Python-Version
> > (both are available only at build time), but I fail to see how it can
> > substitute XB-Python-Version which is presumably needed at install
> > time. (I'm not very familiar with how pycentral works, though.)
> >
> > I agree that having Python-Version in binary packages is dislikeable.
> > Out of curiosity, Matthias, would be a DEBIAN/pyversions file able to
> > provide the same information to pycentral?

the point of having Python-Version in the binary lets you determine
the packages which need and which can be bin-NMU'ed when the default
python version changes, or supported runtimes are added or dropped, by
just looking at the Packages (and the Sources) files. No need to scan
the package contents itself.

So no, it would not be the same thing to use a pyversions file.
pycentral doesn't maintain a private database for that information.

I haven't yet seen any reasoning why people are seeing that
information as "cluttering the database" or just as "ugly". Same thing
with a missing attribute "Homepage", which often is hidden in the
description anyway.

  Matthias