Re: when and why did python(-minimal) become essential?

Florian Weimer writes:
> * Matt Zimmerman:
>
> > One of the appealing things about the Python language is their "batteries
> > included" philosophy: users can assume that the standard library is
> > available, documentation and examples are written to the full API, etc.

which batteries do you mean? my notebook did ship with a standard and
a long-life/extended battery ;) Upstream's batteries include
development things as well ([1]), which doesn't really fit Debian's
practice to split runtime and development files, and renaming python
to python-runtime, python-dev to python doesn't really help. Even the
python windows installer offers options to disable the installation of
some parts of the package. A proposal was to make a user better aware
of differences in packaging, i.e. by hinting to a package when an
ImportError exception is raised ([1] as well).

> Would this really be a problem if the minimal Python implementation
> does not install an interpreter under /usr/bin?

sounds interesting. maybe provide it as /usr/lib/python/bin/python

  Matthias

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-python/2006/01/msg00135.html