Re: when and why did python(-minimal) become essential?

Colin Watson wrote:
> FWIW the relevant design docs from when this was done in Ubuntu are
> here:
>
>   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EssentialPython (requirements)
>   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PythonInEssential (details)
>
> The rationale for the set of included modules is in the latter, and was
> basically done by taking each module in perl-base and mapping it to its
> Python equivalent.

FWIW, that's a fairly strange way to do it, since modules are
added/removed from perl-base as needed by the perl-using programs in the
base system. For example, perl-base includes Data::Dumper because debconf
(used to) use it, not because there's any other particular reason to
include that module in base, and I've just asked that Data::Dumper be
removed, so including its equivilant (pickle) in python-base on that
rationalle is decidely strange.

If we followed the same method for python-base, then we would

a) instroduce python-base iff we had some package(s) written in python
   that we wanted in the base system (apt-listchanges comes to mind)
b) include only the modules needed by the package(s).

--
see shy jo