Re: when and why did python(-minimal) become essential?

On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 05:58:20PM -0500, David Nusinow wrote:
> For what it's worth, we've caught hell from the ruby community for
> breaking the standard library in to its component parts and not
> installing it all by default. This problem has been largely abrogated
> as of late, but I'd rather not see us piss off the python community
> for making a similar mistake.

I believe the problem with the ruby situation wasn't that the monolithic
ruby distribution was split up; but that there was no clear way to
install the lot in one go, without prior knowledge of what the whole
distribution was: a simple meta-package with the correct dependencies
was all that was missing.

--
Jon Dowland
http://alcopop.org/