Re: dh_python and python policy analysis

Le mardi 08 août 2006 à 14:33 -0500, Joe Wreschnig a écrit :
> >  * current has not a constant meaning, as it depends of the state of the
> >    package python-defaults, and not only of the state of the archive
> >    when the package was uploaded. This is IMHO the biggest flaw of that
> >    field value.
>
> This is exactly the *point* of the field. It means you can just binNMU
> packages and support the new version. If we lose this ability we've lost
> much of the point of the Python transition.

This is entirely wrong. The list of packages to NMU for e.g. the python
2.4->2.5 transition is the list of packages depending on python (<<
2.5). Any other heuristic is doomed to fail.

The XB-Python-Version field doesn't have clear semantics, and it has
never been more than the place where python-central stores its internal
information, despite the hopes that were initially placed in it.

> Packages with private extensions still cannot make use of anything but
> "current" to take real advantage of the new policy (things like ">= 2.3"
> are a lie because they can still only support one version at a time). If
> you get rid of it, they are back to the crappy situation we were at a
> year ago.

The private extensions situation has never been more crappy, and having
"current" in a control field is not going to make it suck less.