Re: dh_python and python policy analysis

Le mar 8 août 2006 21:33, Joe Wreschnig a écrit :
> It's possible to build Python modules for all versions with only
> python-dev, if they are pure Python modules (feedparser is such a
> package, its dependency on python-all-dev is extraneous and could be
> just python-dev). So simply looking at the dependencies is not enough
> information.

correct, but that holds only for pure python modules, that are arch:all,
and thus very rarely need to be tracked. What is important is to be
able to list binNMUs to schedule, for extensions.

> >  * current has not a constant meaning, as it depends of the state
> >    of the package python-defaults, and not only of the state of the
> >    archive when the package was uploaded. This is IMHO the biggest
> >    flaw of that field value.
>
> This is exactly the *point* of the field. It means you can just
> binNMU packages and support the new version. If we lose this ability
> we've lost much of the point of the Python transition.
>
> Packages with private extensions still cannot make use of anything
> but "current" to take real advantage of the new policy (things like
> ">= 2.3" are a lie because they can still only support one version at
> a time). If you get rid of it, they are back to the crappy situation
> we were at a year ago.

that's because you are taking XS-P-V as a declaration of what is beeing
built. It's not, it's a list of python version the source package is
theorically compatible with. Then the maintainer choose the python for
which it's built: current only if there is private modules involved,
the python versions extensions have been built for, or any of them for
most of the pure python extensions.

XS-P-V (and debian/pyversions) does not explain that, it's the role of
XB-P-V for pycentral, or the .version files for pysupport, and it's
trivial to guess from the generated depends upon python: if your
package depends upon python (<< 2.6), python (>= 2.4) then it has been
built for python2.4 and python2.5. When you track transitions, that's
all the information you need to know.

but current as a XS-P-V is IMHO not correct, and that has been explained
in my mail, and in Manoj doc with very good arguments.
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit