Re: Python transition and pkg-config files

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006, Loïc Minier wrote:
> From gst0.10-python's configure.ac:
[...]
>     PYGTK_DEFSDIR=`$PKG_CONFIG --variable=defsdir pygtk-2.0`
>      => (/usr/share/pygtk/2.0/defs: I can only ship that one time)
>     PYGTK_H2DEF=`$PKG_CONFIG --variable=codegendir pygtk-2.0`/h2def.py
>     PYGTK_CODEGEN="$PYTHON `$PKG_CONFIG --variable=codegendir pygtk-2.0`/codegen.py"
>      => (/usr/share/pygtk/2.0/codegen/h2def.py and codegen.py: same problem)

 I've changed pygtk's build to save /usr/share/pygtk/2.0/codegen and
 /usr/share/pygtk/2.0/defs for each Python runtime it builds against and
 compare that to the directories produced by the default python runtime.

 This is to force a build-time sanity check, but would changes appear, I
 suppose we would have to change the packaging even more to move the
 defs file and/or the codegen helper to a directory versionned with the
 python runtime, and manage even more symlinks via maintainer scripts
 and patch the pkg-config files and /usr/bin/pygtk-codegen-2.0 -- or
 drop support for multiple Python runtimes.

 Unfortunately, gnome-python has the exact same problem with
 /usr/share/pygtk/2.0/defs and /usr/share/pygtk/2.0/argtypes, so I will
 probably repeat the fix there, and it's going to look ugly too.

--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>