Re: installation of scripts in the brave new Python world

> > How about patching distutils in Debian to get rid of this bug?
>
> While I'm all for patching stupid upstream behavior, it would be a
> pretty big API deviation. There's a relatively simple fix, which is
> using /usr/bin/python for the last run (or even just for an
> install_scripts run).

+1. The proposal doesn't fix a bug. The same thing can be done by
calling the unversioned interpreter, if it's the default one. or by
explicitely changing the interpreter, like it's currently done in many
packages.

  Matthias

PYVERS=$(shell pyversions -r)
PYDEF=$(shell pyversions -d)
[...]
build: build-stamp
build-stamp: $(PYVERS:%=build-ext-%)
        touch $@
build-ext-%:
        dh_testdir
        $(subst $(PYDEF),python,$*) setup.py build
        touch $@
[...]
install: install-stamp
install-stamp: build-stamp $(PYVERS:%=install-ext-%)
install-ext-%:
        $(subst $(PYDEF),python,$*) setup.py install --root $(CURDIR)/debian/python-foo