Re: installation of scripts in the brave new Python world

On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 20:09 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mardi 27 juin 2006 à 19:10 -0500, Joe Wreschnig a écrit :
> > > How it's that different than patch the source packages to
> > > s/python2.4/python/ as we do actually in some cases or replacing to
> > > python2.3 when it isn't 2.4 compatible code?
> >
> > distutils rewrites scripts at installation time. Patching the source
> > package will not work.
> >
> > http://docs.python.org/dist/node10.html
>
> How about patching distutils in Debian to get rid of this bug?

While I'm all for patching stupid upstream behavior, it would be a
pretty big API deviation. There's a relatively simple fix, which is
using /usr/bin/python for the last run (or even just for an
install_scripts run).
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@sacredchao.net>