Re: Updated dh_python to satisfy everybody

Hi,

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Matthias Klose wrote:
> > Updated files attached.
> >
> > Matthias, this time you can safely integrate this version in the official
> > python package.
>
> The patch itself looks ok to me.

Good, can you upload the new pyversions today then ?

> Maybe you could help me in understanding what "the result of messing
> up with dpkg's database and control fields" mentioned in [1] has to do
> with the added XS-Python-Version field. Leaving out this field before
> we started using it for transitions makes it less useful. If a maintainer
> wants the primary source of information to be the debian/pyversions
> field, then please make sure that a XS-Python-Version:
> ${python:SourceVersions} variable is generated by dh_python and can be
> brought into the Sources file of the distribution.

I don't think that a maintainer who decided to use debian/pyversions wants
to have the other field... and furthermore I already uploaded the new
dh_python and I'm not going to NMU debhelper a third time. :)

As I mentionned, the ${python:Versions} is generated in all cases, and I
believe it is good enough to facilitate the transitions.

Let's go on with the current state and in august we can see how many
people are using:
- the fields
- python-central
- python-support

And then we can reevaluate what we want to set in stone in policy and what
we can't, etc.

Raphaël Hertzog