Re: Updated dh_python to satisfy everybody

* Joe Wreschnig (piman@sacredchao.net) [060620 07:14]:
> On Tue, 2006-06-20 at 06:49 +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > * Raphael Hertzog (hertzog@debian.org) [060620 01:35]:
> > >
> > > Joe proposed on IRC to use "debian/pycompat" instead of a new field. It
> > > sounds very much debhelper-ish and I like it.
> >
> > It depends what the field means.
> >
> > For me, the Standards-Version was mainly a marker to say "this package
> > is compatible to Version x.y of the policy" - which allows not only
> > debhelper to work on it, but also to search for old packages etc. This
> > is incompatbile with debian/pycompat (at least, if you want to do it
> > efficient).
>
> debhelper does not use Standards-Version for this purpose. It doesn't
> use it at all, as far as I know. debhelper uses a DH_COMPAT environment
> variable or debian/compat file.

because there haven't been any such drastic changes in the normal policy
as we had in the python policy - and, compat means something *very*
different. Perhaps there is reason to use even both fields, I'm not
arguing against pycompat (and lots of your reasons are correct).

> X-Python-Standards-Version tried to overload one with the other. That's
> a recipe for disaster. Besides, eventually Python policy will be merged
> into real policy (hah hah, right) and then the field will exist only to
> give tool implementation details.

I doubt it will be ever merged in. I expect it will be rather become a
real subpolicy.

Cheers,
Andi
--