Re: Updated python-support

* Josselin Mouette (joss@debian.org) [060618 23:56]:
> Le dimanche 18 juin 2006 à 23:12 +0200, Raphael Hertzog a écrit :
> > This sucks because:
> > - you didn't voice any concern when I worked on dh_python
> > - you have let me NMU debhelper for that dh_python and then you work
> >   against it
>
> For that, I have to be sorry. I didn't have enough time to work on
> Debian at that moment, and realized later the python transition was
> going to a dead end, when I read many complaints from skilled developers
> telling me they didn't even understand what the "new policy" was about.

Don't you think it might be a good idea to explain the policy better if
it is not understood correctly? (And you might remember that I did such
suggestions for the policy already.)

Also, please explain why you think "the python transition was going to a
dead end". I cannot see it.

> > The new policy was consensual until now, even if people (you included) had
> > made concessions so that we can go forward.
>
> And these concessions only lead to a broken design. I want to step back
> on the unnecessary things so that we get a comprehensible and robust
> python build system as soon as possible.

You mean, after we all put time and energy into a discussion, agreed on
some results, and put some more work into the results, you're just going
to tell us that you will ignore all of that? That sounds like a rather
large slap into people's faces.

> > - the Python-Version field will be useless to accurately track which
> >   packages need to be updated
>
> Is it really useful? (This is a real question.) Isn't it possible to
> follow it just as easily with a script, avoiding to put cruft where it
> doesn't belong?

You could claim the same for all information in the source packages file
or the control file.

> > - from a Policy-mandated field it becomes now a python-central
> >   field (since the python policy has no official weight yet, we can only
> >   go forward with a broad consensus)
>
> I think you are exaggerating the importance of the policy. A policy in
> Debian becomes effective when most packages use it. This is even true
> for the Policy with a big P.

A policy becomes also effective when violations of a policy lead to
packages exclusion from the next stable release.

Cheers,
Andi
--
  http://home.arcor.de/andreas-barth/