Re: Updated python-support

* Josselin Mouette (joss@debian.org) [060618 11:13]:
>       * Automatic dependency generation in dh_pysupport, removing the
>         need to run dh_python.

You mean, this change breaks compatibility with the previous versions of
python-support? I strongly recommend to not make such a change.

> The last change is a source of strong disagreement between Raphaël and
> myself. Having seen the result of messing up with dpkg's database and
> control fields [0,1],

Eh, I'm sure you can explain where somebody messed up with dpkg's
database? What you can see is "only" that some programs postinst failed
to run successfully. You can get the same results with just calling
/bin/false inside of postinst.

> I don't want to use the XS-Python-Version field,

WTF? We discussed that in Mexico, we agreed on that in Mexico, and now
you tell us that you just decided by yourself you don't want to follow
the new policy any more? Is there any serious reason for it, or do you
just feel like it?

> and I've done things the Debian way, with a debian/package.pyversions
> file, like helper scripts have always done.

This is not enough, as we need to be able to extract information from
the control file. This is also important for the release team and QA
team's tools. You basically need to use the new python policy.

> (No, this specific point doesn't conform to the new python policy, but
> this policy is only a draft and I don't see a reason to stick to it
> while it hasn't been widely implemented, especially when there are
> better solutions.)

The policy is valid enough. You must not violate it in such an way, and
"that there are better solutions" is just your claim at the moment.

> [0] http://blog.technologeek.org/2006/06/17/27

Please stop throwing shit on Matthias. Uploads of a package with a
really silly mistake happen. Nobody wants them, nobody enjoys them, but
they still happen. And Matthias really puts lots of efforts into
Debian's python packages, and, I can say this, does it better than you
do.

Cheers,
Andi
--