Re: FTWCA python-central vs pyhton-support

On Fri, 09 Jun 2006, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le jeudi 08 juin 2006 à 23:22 -0300, Gustavo Noronha Silva a écrit :
> > Why don't you work with Joss and us to make python-support better and
> > get this transition going? It's about time, and we're quite close to our
> > deadlines for release, and this whole thing may make etch be delayed or
> > not be the best it could be.
>
> The release team has make it clear we can release with python 2.3 as the
> default if Matthias doesn't upload it soon enough.

Yes but the release team also wants python2.4 otherwise Steve wouldn't
have participated in the BoF to find a solution.

We'll make it because we're (almost) ready now:
- python-central is available in unstable for test
- a new satisfying dh_python is ready (I'm currently testing it)

> Which of course would be the best for Ubuntu.

Please stop that. It's plainly wrong. Matthias has to handle the divergence
between Ubuntu's python and Debian's python and it's unrewarding grunt work
for him... that's why he pushed so hard python-central because then
transitions are easier for everybody (inclugin him when he has to manage a
Ubuntu transition).

But the simplest for him is when Ubuntu and Debian use the same python
version. So please stop spreading FUD.

Raphaël Hertzog