Re: python-central vs python-support

On Mon, 05 Jun 2006, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Jun 2006, Joe Wreschnig wrote:
> > policy is. So here's *my* attempt at summarizing the BoF, based on your
> > first mail and responses, and independent of the tools used:
> >
> > 1) Public modules and extensions should support all available Python
> > versions, using a single binary package.
> >
> > 2) A new control field, XC-Python-Version will be used to determine what
> > versions of Python a module supports.
> >
> > 3) The tight upper bound on module dependencies will be removed,
> > provided the module actually works on future versions of Python. The
> > upper bound on extension dependencies will not, because then they
> > wouldn't work.
> >
> > 4) python2.x-* virtual packages are to be used only when necessary, but
> > packages can provide them regardless.
> >
> > 5) Private modules and applications should use some way to support more
> > than one Python version, if possible.
> >
> > Is this accurate? 1), 3), and 4) contridict your original email, but
> > match what you told me this time.
>
> Yes, this is a good summary IMO, however I don't remember if we discussed
> point 5.

Joe, could you integrate all this in the real document of the python policy?
Any other volunteer for that task?

We'll have to announce those changes to all developers and we really need
to have the real policy updated.

I'm not sure where the "reference document" is. Matthias?
In any case, it should be moved on a public svn server. Since pkg-python
is still not used, I would suggest the python-modules SVN.

Raphaël Hertzog