Re: python-central vs python-support

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006, Matthias Klose wrote:
> >  - python2.x-* packages -- are they needed? desirable?
> >    Steve and Matthias gave different answers, and if they're present
> >    migrations end up just as fragile as they are now.
>
> No, not different answers. They may be needed, if an extension get's
> too big to be included in one package, or if the maintainer of the
> package does not want to package it that way. The consequence is that

If we change policy, then all packages should follow it. I don't think we
have discussed the possibility to let real python2.X-foo packages exist
any longer. Any such package will create some complicated dependency
handling that we want to avoid.

> every module or extension depending directly or indirectly on it must
> be packages using the python2.x-* schema or else the dependencies are
> broken for non-default python versions.

That's precisely why we don't want to have real python2.x-foo packages.
:-)

However the Provides: python2.X-foo are not a problem.

> > This IMO is the most important part. It's here, and we're using it.
> > python-central has "right arond the corner" for months. Many modules are
> > already using -support, and it integrates very easily with any project
> > using distutils. With proper debhelper integration it would be even
> > simpler.
>
> it's incomplete, doesn't support extension modules, and the author did
> already refuse to support these, stating that this would be too
> complicated.  No status change in the last months.

Sorry I don't see how python-central "supports" extension modules. I
looked your python-imaging examples and you just put .so files in
/usr/lib/python2.X/ ... python-central is not involved there.

python-central is apparently only needed to bytecompile .py just like
python-support. The rest is dh_python / dh_pycentral stuff which is not
really related.

Please tell us precisely what python-support should do to match your
expectations.

> I'm going to upload python-central to unstable tomorrow, including a
> dh_pycentral debhelper, which could be included in debhelper as
> dh_python as well.

Would you add the required shell snippet to support python-support
directly into the python runtime (just like you added the "pycentral
rtinstall python@VER@-minimal" in python2.4-minimal's postinst) if someone
provided it to you ?

Raphaël Hertzog