Re: New python policy

On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 14:43 -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 11:50:53AM -0500, Joe Wreschnig wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 12:52 +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > > * the dependencies (hopefully created automatically by dh_python) will
> > >   indicate the right interval automatically:
> > >   right now for example it would be "python (>=2.3), python (<< 2.5)"
> > >   for a package saying "XC-Python-Version: all"
>
> > What's the point of such a tight upper dependency? The whole idea was to
> > reduce the work for transitions, this still requires a rebuild when we
> > upgrade to Python 2.5 (or in fact, whenever the supported versions of
> > Python change).
>
> > Such information is necessary for extensions, but irrelevant for
> > programs or other modules.
>
> Indeed, the intent was that this strict upper bound would apply to
> extensions, not to modules.  Not sure if that intent got lost somewhere
> along the way.
>
> > IMO use of python2.x-foo should be discouraged. Maintainers of
> > applications that need specific Python versions should ask maintainers
> > of the modules they need, and only the ones they need, to provide the
> > version-specific virtual package.
>
> Yes, this was also discussed in the BoF, with the same conclusion: because
> providing python2.x-foo can only be done safely if the package depends on
> the python2.x versions of all other modules it requires, making transitions
> more brittle as a result, these virtual packages should really only be
> provided in response to specific demand for them.

For those of us who were not at the BoF and only getting sketchy
information about it (e.g. Raphael's information is wrong, or at least
horribly incomplete, I guess, and presentation slides are not a good
summary of technical policy), when are we going to have a real proposal
to comment on, or at least follow?

What happened to "Python 2.4 first, new infrastructure later"?
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@sacredchao.net>