Re: importing a project currently under darcs into python-modules svn repo

On 5/3/06, Panu Kalliokoski <panu.kalliokoski@helsinki.fi> wrote:
I have this Python package, python-selecting, which I'm also the
upstream of and which I've been tracking is a Darcs repository.  The
instructions in
<http://python-modules.alioth.debian.org/python-modules-policy.html> say
that I should only bring in the debian/ files, preferably with
svn-inject, and leave the .orig.tar.gz outside svn.  There are some
gotchas:

- if I import the project with svn-inject, I'll lose the VC history from
  the darcs side for svn
- I need to have some place to track the "upstream" source anyway

What is the right way to approach this?  I can think of some
alternatives:

Hi Panu,

It would be better (as you pointed out) if you treat yourself as a
different person and keep the upstream code in darcs with its current
history intact. Just import the debian/ in dpmt svn repository,
because it's possible that others will touch this part of the package
too. With or without the current history, because when we import it
'from scratch' there's no history at all.

Thanks,
-- stratus