Re: .egg in Debian summary?

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006, Brian Sutherland wrote:
> > My opinion is that we probably shouldn't distribute eggs but we must make
> > it possible for our users to use them. So I think that the egg meta-info
> > ought to be distributed either within a package directly (when the content
> > of the egg matches the content of a single package) or as separate
> > meta-packages depending on the various packages.
> >
> > From what I understood this is solution 3 above.
>
> For what it's worth, I will be converting most of my packages that build
> with setuptools to use option 3.
>
> That is, of course, until there is some kind of consenus/decision.

If you have done that, can you post your patch to the list ? I have never
packaged Python related stuff yet, but I recently made a patch to update
the kid package (#359012) and tried to look quickly what would be needed
to achieve that but each time I ended with a .egg in the .deb ...

So it would be great to have a example of how this ought to be done.

BTW, wouldn't it be time to create a pkg-python alioth project much like
the pkg-perl one to globally co-maintain all the python modules ?

Raphaël Hertzog