Re: .egg in Debian summary?

Hi,

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006, Bob Tanner wrote:
> > 1. Do nothing, go with the status quo as documented in the Debian python
> > policy, which is no .egg's and unpackage everything into a sub-directory of
> > site-packages.
> >
> > 2. Investigate easydeb <http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/easydeb/>
> >
> > 3. Using Phillip's .egg-info solution
> > <http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.distutils.devel/2567>
> >
> > Any others?
>
> Re-approaching this topic. I'm still trying to get TurboGears (TG) packages
> and it requires .egg support.
>
> Any progress on the technical direction Debian will take regarding .eggs?

Well, since there's no progress, it's up to you as package maintainer to
take the decision. The day when we have a real policy here, it will still
be time to change things.

My opinion is that we probably shouldn't distribute eggs but we must make
it possible for our users to use them. So I think that the egg meta-info
ought to be distributed either within a package directly (when the content
of the egg matches the content of a single package) or as separate
meta-packages depending on the various packages.

>From what I understood this is solution 3 above.

If you need change to existing packages to implement it, just file patches
on the various packages and hopefully they all be integrated soon thanks
to the 2.4 migration that is planned RSN.

Raphaël Hertzog