Re: python2.3/python2.4/python packages

Donovan Baarda writes:
> On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 17:09 -0500, Derrick Hudson wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 10:57:50PM +0100, Pavel Å imerda wrote:
> [...]
> > At this point we really just need to move the default to 2.4.  2.4 has
> > been available for a rather long time now.
> >
> > -D
> >
> > PS  I am aware of several factors (including C++ and other
> >     transitions) that resulted in not starting a python transition
> >     sooner.  Regardless, 2.4 isn't "new" anymore and ought to be the
> >     default.  I look forward to seeing this happen :-).

yes. As pointed out, there have been problems with both
python-central/python-support, regarding the handling of
dependencies. I'm going to upload a new python package which handles
recompilation of packages with "private" modules (outside the default
sys.path). Then we can start the transition. Still evaluating an
extension of python-support, if we can just drop the dependency of
pure library packages to the interpreter at all.

> Note that Ubuntu transitioned to python2.4 as the default some time ago
> (and they have almost complete support for python's all the way back to
> python2.1) ... given the appearance of python-minimal I think Debian is
> leveraging off their work and will hopefully get there soon.
>
> In the mean time, another alternative is to point your apt/sources.list
> at an Ubuntu archive and see if you can upgrade python from there...

ugh, I would not try that ... you cannot differentiate between python
and non-python things ...

  Matthias