Re: python2.3/python2.4/python packages

On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 17:09 -0500, Derrick Hudson wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 10:57:50PM +0100, Pavel Šimerda wrote:
[...]
> At this point we really just need to move the default to 2.4.  2.4 has
> been available for a rather long time now.
>
> -D
>
> PS  I am aware of several factors (including C++ and other
>     transitions) that resulted in not starting a python transition
>     sooner.  Regardless, 2.4 isn't "new" anymore and ought to be the
>     default.  I look forward to seeing this happen :-).

Note that Ubuntu transitioned to python2.4 as the default some time ago
(and they have almost complete support for python's all the way back to
python2.1) ... given the appearance of python-minimal I think Debian is
leveraging off their work and will hopefully get there soon.

In the mean time, another alternative is to point your apt/sources.list
at an Ubuntu archive and see if you can upgrade python from there...

--
Donovan Baarda <abo@minkirri.apana.org.au>
http://minkirri.apana.org.au/~abo/