Re: python2.3/python2.4/python packages

On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 01:49:16PM +0100, Pavel Šimerda wrote:

| > > You think it's better to force users to a specific version... I thought
| > > MOST of the packages were in two binary versions (2.3 and 2.4) with one
| > > dummy package dependant on the default. It seems you don't like peple
| > > who'd like to make their own packages do you?
| >
| > I don't like people who like to provide several packages just for the
| > pleasure of providing several packages.
| Not an anwer at all. I mean someone would like to package his program or tool
| and make it dependant on kid0.8 templates and python2.4.
|
| So he sets the dependency: kid (>= 0.8) and python2.4.... currently, kid is
| installed in python 2.3 and the dependency just fails. I hate broken
| dependencies ;-) as much as any user does

Indeed.  You can't mix a non-default version of python with a package
that only supports the default version of python.

[...]
| In these cases I don't even need python-* type of packages... because I know
| which versions I support in my programs.

Your program "should" use the default version of python.  The python-*
meta packages exist to make transitions easier.  When a library 'foo'
supports both the current/previous python and the current/next python,
the python-foo package is trivial to change so that all dependents
(who are using the default version, not a specific version) will use
the new default.

| And because i was looking at python package called kid... expected python-kid
| but that was just 'kid'

If it is a library, not an application, then I would consider that a
bug in the packaging.

If kid is a library and it works with python 2.4 and if you need to
use python 2.4 for your application, then you'll need to do one (or
more) of the following:

    + kindly ask the maintainer to provide a binary package for
        python 2.4 (in addition to the binary package for 2.3)
    + create your own unofficial python2.4-kid package
    + install kid locally outside of the package management system
    + wait for the default python to be updated

| And also confused by the fact that python2.3 and python2.4 families
| are not at all complete as I expected.

Per the Python Policy, maintainers are allowed to support only the
default version of python.  Thus I would expect to have more libraries
available for python 2.3 (the current default) than for 2.4.

One last time, the solution is to update the default version of python :-).
(for reference, 2.4 was released as stable by upstream 14 months ago)

HTH,
-D

--
If your life is a hard drive,