Re: python2.3/python2.4/python packages

On 2006-02-10 09:05, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le jeudi 09 février 2006 à 22:57 +0100, Pavel Šimerda a écrit :
> > At first look I thought python packages in debian are called
> > python2.3-packagename and python2.4-packagename. And that there's a
> > metapackage python-packagename that requires the 2.3 version installed.
> >
> > Now I see this is not so with all packages.... and it is hard to see
> > which packages are present in python2.3 and missing in python2.4.
>
> Of course this is not the case for all packages. We don't need 4 binary
> packages for each python-foobar module.
>
> For a module that has few or zero reverse dependencies, there should be
> one single package, named python-foo, containing the module for the
> default python version. Anything else is just cluttering the archive.

You think it's better to force users to a specific version... I thought MOST
of the packages were in two binary versions (2.3 and 2.4) with one dummy
package dependant on the default. It seems you don't like peple who'd like to
make their own packages do you?

I don't mean it bad... I already switched to setup.py installation instead of
apt so I can use python2.4 now. I'm just trying to make things better for
other users.

Pavel