Re: [hendry@iki.fi: Re: Python packaging questions]

On 2006-02-04T10:13+0900 Sanghyeon Seo wrote:
> # Python distutils script for Debian package
> # Seo Sanghyeon
>
> from distutils.core import setup
> setup(packages=[
>     'simpleparse',
>     'simpleparse.common',
>     'simpleparse.xml',
>     ])
>
> That's all.
>
> setup.py is a good idea in that it is the standard in Python
> community. It's widely understood and it works anywhere Python works.
> Most upstream uses it.

Ok I made a simple setup.py:

from distutils.core import setup
setup(
    py_modules = ['web']
    )

Which seems to work. Though I am not sure what the difference in
practise is between 'py_modules' and 'packages'.

Also based on the feedparser package:

frodo$ egrep prefix rules
        python ./setup.py install --prefix debian/python-webpy/usr

Is that prefix necessary?

I get a few lintian warnings:

dpkg-source: warning: extracting unsigned source package (./dsc)
W: webpy source: build-depends-without-arch-dep
W: python-webpy: script-not-executable ./usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/web.py
E: python-webpy: copyright-should-refer-to-common-license-file-for-gpl
W: python-webpy: possible-unindented-list-in-extended-description
Finished running lintian.

The copyright is the Affero public license. It doesn't seem to be have
discussed on debian-legal. I guess I should double check the license with those
guys.

http://people.debian.org/~terpstra/search/20071130.150000.00000000@affero,ml:debian%2Dlegal,lang:en.en.html

The package diff can be found here: http://hendry.iki.fi/debian/unstable/