Re: when and why did python(-minimal) become essential?

#include <hallo.h>
* Mike Hommey [Thu, Jan 26 2006, 09:46:26PM]:
> On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 04:12:35PM +0100, Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Boot speed and python does not really sound a match...
> >
> > Surprisingly, python is often faster than perl for the same task.
>
> Boot speed and perl does not really sound a match either.

Nack. Even following the synthetic benchmarks on
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/, they are quite comparable,
especially when looking at other candidates:
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=perl&lang2=ruby
Especially the startup time is much higher with Python so I wonder why
people want to use it for many small maintainer scripts.

The only improvement comes with use of Python Psycho which is IIRC still
experimental and non-portable.

Eduard.
--
Everything is illusion. Constructs of language, light, metaphor; nothing
is real.                                          -- Babylon 5, Season 4