upgrade path for python packages

Regarding the recent discussions about packaging of Python package, what
is the recommended practise to provide a smooth upgrade path during the
migration.

Suppose upstream (pure) python lib foobar is currently packages as:

 python-foobar (dummy package depending on python2.3-foobar)
 python2.3-foobar (installs modules in /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages)
 python2.4-foobar (installs modules in /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages)

And we want to migrate to a single package called python-foobar, which
installs python module in /usr/lib/site-python/

How do we ensure that packages depending on python2.X-foobar won't break
when the new package is installed?

Do the following dependencies do the job:

Package: python-foobar
Provides: python2.3-foobar, python2.4-foobar
Conflicts: python2.3-foobar, python2.4-foobar
Replaces: python2.3-foobar, python2.5-foobar

Thanks for your answers,

--
Alexandre Fayolle