Re: [Distutils] formencode as .egg in Debian ??

At 09:08 PM 11/27/2005 +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
Removing the dependency checks entirely and replacing them with Debian
dependencies is definitely an option, and I happen to prefer it slightly
to the necessity of adding empty .egg-info files to all python module
packages.

Just a reminder: without the .egg-info metadata (or something similar), we aren't fulfilling one of the primary use cases, which is Debian users wanting their bleeding-edge installs to not duplicate stable packages.

This is probably the number one gripe of Debian users on the TurboGears mailing list: "why doesn't easy_install see my Debian ElementTree package?" (or some other dependency). They don't seem to mind easy_install adding stuff to /usr/local that there's not a Debian system package for, but they'd like it to be able to "see" the Debian packages they've installed and not rebuild/reinstall them.

(One of their other big complaints would be fixed by having Debian set distutils.cfg such that the default install location for distutils stuff is /usr/local/.../site-packages, rather than /usr. But I gather one such user opened a bug for this issue separately, though.)