Re: [Distutils] formencode as .egg in Debian ??

Alright, now to the lots of (unclear) documentation you pointed me to.

Le jeudi 24 novembre 2005 à 10:14 -0500, Phillip J. Eby a écrit :
> http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools#dynamic-discovery-of-services-and-plugins
>
> http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools#defining-additional-metadata

I fail to see why this feature needs eggs. A generic plugin system is
definitely a good idea, but integrating it with the way python modules
are provided is a bad one. Other developers didn't wait for eggs to
develop elegant plugin systems that don't require any kind of extra
metadata.

> http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools#namespace-packages

This is definitely not a feature. There's no way retrieving a module
from several locations should be possible, at least in the
distribution-provided packages.

> http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/PkgResources#entry-points

I don't even understand what this is trying to achieve.

> http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/PkgResources#metadata-api

Generic metadata? Why isn't it put in files lying in the /usr/share
tree? I don't understand why it has to come with the python files
themselves.