Re: [Distutils] formencode as .egg in Debian ??

Le jeudi 24 novembre 2005 à 15:19 +0100, Christopher Lenz a écrit :
> > You are advertising this metadata a lot, but what does it exactly
> > contain? If it's for dependencies, we can really live better without
> > them, or with a tool to convert them into .deb dependencies.
>
> You know, it is really unfair to make a statement like "The problem
> is the added complexity for no real gain" if you're gonna ask the
> above question in a follow-up message. You clearly don't understand
> the purpose of Python eggs, yet you feel qualified to judge whether
> or not it provides any benefit. Sigh.
>
> (And no, I'm not going to repeat the numerous attempts by Phillip to
> politely and comprehensively explain it all.)

Maybe you should ask yourself the same question the other way around.
How can it be possible, after reading all messages from Phillip to the
list - and I haven't omitted a single one - I have no idea of what
benefits can eggs bring?

Let me repeat the question: what useful information is there in the
metadata? What *problem* are eggs exactly trying to solve?

> In the end, what matters is that Python eggs are being quickly
> adopted by Python application developers, because they allow us to
> easily build extensible systems.

Indeed, it is nice to developers, but it entirely forgets system
integrators.

> When Debian users want to install
> and use those systems, you're gonna gave to tell them why eggs aren't
> supported.

There's no reason to forbid people to install eggs in /usr/local or in
their home directories. After all, they are suitable for that. What I'm
standing against is shipping eggs in Debian packages.

Regards,