Re: [Distutils] formencode as .egg in Debian ??

At 01:40 AM 11/23/2005 +0100, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
Phillip J. Eby wrote:
I find that surprising, since I only use CGI if I'm not concerned about the start time. It's not like there aren't dozens of "long-running process" solutions for Python web apps including mod_python, FastCGI, SCGI, Twisted, and even ReadyExec, to fit almost every conceivable need. And since the advent of WSGI, more frameworks can be used with more of those deployment options than ever before.

As an example, both MoinMoin and pypi (cheeseshop) ran as CGI scripts
on python.org for quite some time. I'm not sure whether this is still
the case case, but there were certainly many accesses to both, and
they produced a significant load.

Currently, viewcvs runs as a CGI script on svn.python.org. This is
because I don't know what FastCGI, SCGI, Twisted, and ReadyExec are,
and I have only heard of mod_python, and I don't have any time to
learn any of these, and then find out how to adjust viewcvs to
use them. I guess once the search engines find them, they will
also contribute to the load.

Also, the sf redirector (python.org/sf) is a CGI script. It
runs fairly quickly these days, but it might not get invoked
so often.

Sure, I run viewcvs and MoinMoin as CGI scripts as well, because they're low-volume use. My point was more that if a few milliseconds per request would make any meaningful difference to those applications' performance, I would have already migrated them to use one of the many long-running process options for Python web applications. That's why it didn't occur to me to consider that worth caring about.

Again, I'm not saying it might not be an issue, just that I never even considered it because I've been doing long-running Python web apps with FastCGI for about 8-9 years now, so the idea of running something millisecond-critical as a CGI just isn't something that would occur to me.