Re: [Distutils] formencode as .egg in Debian ??

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
Debian should provide the packages, but not as eggs.

For packages that only operate as eggs, and/or require their dependencies as eggs, you are stating a contradiction in terms. Eggs are not merely a distribution format, any more than Java .jar files are.

So I should say

"Debian should not provide eggs, period", since what Debian provides
are packages, and eggs are not?

Debian developers should work with upstream authors to keep a
distutils-based setup.py operational.

It's perfectly operational; clearly the entire egg system is *well* within the Python runtime's intended operating parameters, as it uses only well-defined and published aspects of the Python language, API, stdlib, and build process.

I didn't say the egg system in inoperational. I said that distutils
setup is not operational for, for example, FormEncode: this uses
another packaging library in setup.py, not distutils setup.

Perhaps you have some other definition of "operational" in mind?

I had "*distutils-based* setup.py" in mind.

As I've already stated, applying this same policy to Java libraries would be to demanding that all the .class files be extracted to the filesystem and any manifest files be deleted, before Debian would consent to package them. In other words, it would be silly and pointless, because the users would then ignore the packages in favor of actual jars, because then their applications would actually work.

This is not the same. A java .jar file is deployed by putting it on disk. For an egg, an (apparently undocumented) number of additional
steps is necessary, such as editing easy-install.pth.

In Java, the drawback of course is that each user has to edit
CLASSPATH to include all the jar files desired. easy_setup
makes this unnecessary, but in a way unfriendly to dpkg (and
I assume other Linux package formats).

Regards,
Martin