Re: formencode as .egg in Debian ??

On Tuesday 22 November 2005 12:15 am, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> I don't think Debian should use the egg structure. It apparently relies
> on building a long sys.path (even though through only a single .pth
> file);

I'm not sure of how .eggs are implemented, but I'm going to cross-post this
info to the python-distutils mailing list. See below for additional comments.

> this adds additional costs to all import statements on startup.
> It gets worse if these are zipfiles, because then each import statement
> will have to look into each zipfile (until the import is resolved).

The is the opposite of what I was told  by upstream development over on
distutils, snippet from Phillip J. Eby <pje@telecommunity.com>:

<snip>
Note also that in many cases, the package will be a single .egg file,
(analagous to a Java .jar file) rather than a directory, and files are
preferable to directories in most cases as they make Python import
processing faster.
<snip>

( Rest of the comments debian-python specific)

--
Bob Tanner <tanner@real-time.com>          | Phone : (952)943-8700
http://www.real-time.com, Minnesota, Linux | Fax   : (952)943-8500