Re: Missing setup of /usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages

2005/11/11, Martin Skøtt <martin@z3n.dk>:

> The root of the problem was that distutils, as installed by python2.4,
> wasn't configured to know of /usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages.
>
> Would it be possible for the python2.X packages to include the
> necessary /usr/lib/python2.4/distutils/distutils.cfg file to avoid
> others having the same problem?

This is a very good idea. We don't want site-local installation to be installed
under /usr, do we? But that's what the current default is. So in my opinion,
there should be:

$ cat /usr/lib/python2.3/distutils/distutils.cfg
[install]
prefix = /usr/local

(Please use prefix, not install_lib as OP suggested. This should handle
install_scripts, install_man and all other distutils options.)

shipped by Debian Python packages. This should solve all easy_install related
problems, as well as python setup.py install problems, provided the user
in question has write access to /usr/local (by being a member of staff group,
for example).

Seo Sanghyeon