Missing setup of /usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages

I'm posting here instead of to the BTS since this problem affects
at least python2.3 and python2.4.

I tried installing the TurboGears (http://turbogears.org)
mega-framework on my laptop running Debian unstable today and
encountered a problem with .pth files not being created in
/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages.

The root of the problem was that distutils, as installed by python2.4,
wasn't configured to know of /usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages.

Would it be possible for the python2.X packages to include the
necessary /usr/lib/python2.4/distutils/distutils.cfg file to avoid
others having the same problem?

I mentioned this on the TurboGears list and here is what I got from
Phillip J. Eby:

>That would be good, as long as they also include the altinstall.pth so
>that the .pth files in the /usr/local tree get handled.  By having a
>distutils/distutils.cfg with the defaults set as well, they will make
>it easy for people to actually use /usr/local, and people won't have as
>many problems using EasyInstall.  They *do*, however, need to have the
>/usr/local/ site-packages directory in sys.path come *before* the /usr
>one, though, or locally installed packages won't be able to override
>the system-installed ones.
http://groups.google.com/group/turbogears/msg/e3ee7850dd53b6af

The entire thread with me installing TurboGears is here:
http://groups.google.com/group/turbogears/browse_frm/thread/468f39f5fe0a4aa9/e3ee7850dd53b6af#e3ee7850dd53b6af

--
Regards
Martin Skøtt