Re: Python 2.4.1

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 08:34:20PM -0400, Colin J. Williams wrote......

> I don't know whether this is the appropriate place to ask this
> question but could someone please let me know when Python 2.4 will be
> available in a Debian package?

Python2.4 is available in testing and unstable.  It's just not in the
current stable.

> Poking around in synaptic, it seems that some packages dependent on
> Python are linked to older versions.  Examples are:
>
> konqueror => python 2.1

I'm not sure where you are seeing this build dependency.  Since it
appears you are using stable, then looking at:

http://packages.debian.org/stable/web/konqueror

and I don't see any dependencies on python.

> distutils => python 1.5

This probably is still in stable to maintain backwards compatibility to
older versions of python.  On the description page for distutils, it
says:

"Beginning with Python version 1.6 the distributions utilities are
included in the upstream Python source and can be found in the
python<X>.<Y>-dev packages."
http://packages.debian.org/stable/interpreters/python1.5-distutils

Kevin

--