Re: Python 2.4.1

On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 20:34 -0400, Colin J. Williams wrote:
> I don't know whether this is the appropriate place to ask this question
> but could someone please let me know when Python 2.4 will be available
> in a Debian package?

There is already one in testing and unstable;

$ apt-cache policy python2.4
python2.4:
  Installed: 2.4+2.4.1rc2-1
  Candidate: 2.4+2.4.1rc2-1
  Version Table:
 *** 2.4+2.4.1rc2-1 0
        500 http://wobbly.bofh.net.au testing/main Packages
        100 http://wobbly.bofh.net.au unstable/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

If you were asking when the default python package will be upgraded to
version 2.4, I dunno... but probably not too long now 2.4.1 is released.

> Poking around in synaptic, it seems that some packages dependent on
> Python are linked to older versions.  Examples are:
>
> konqueror => python 2.1
> distutils => python 1.5
>
> Since a lot of effort is put into making Python backward compatible,
> shouldn't these accept more recent versions?

I dunno about these... I can't see any dependency on python for
konqueror at all, and distutils seems to have vanished (isn't this now
included in python itself?).

I suspect you are looking at an old Debian repository (ie, stable). I
recommend you use testing instead.

--
Donovan Baarda <abo@minkirri.apana.org.au>
http://minkirri.apana.org.au/~abo/