Re: Release Team meeting minutes - 2005-06-18

Le dimanche 19 juin 2005 à 21:45 +0200, Andreas Barth a écrit :
> Nothing else has yet been discussed, except that I will speak with
> Matthias at debconf (and mind you, I would probably speak with him even
> without this meeting and me being member of the release team :). IMHO
> (one of) the most important part(s) of that discussion will be "how do
> we discuss about the changes so that the result pleases all", and all
> members of the python team are quite important of course there. I think
> the lead for that discussion will be in the python team's hands in the
> end.

I don't think there's really a python team. There is a group of people
interested in the state of python packages, who share their views on a
mailing list. The discussion here is open, and archived.

> There is a simple reason for discussing that topic in the release team
> meeting: Our current RC policy makes any violation against the current
> python policy an RC bug. At this meeting, we discussed what needs to be
> changed in our RC policy list for etch in the opinion of the release
> team, and the python policy is one place where a change would be nice in
> the release teams view. It is of course the right of the python team to
> disagree with the release team; it is not the task of the release team
> to decide the python policy, but please understand that we wanted to go
> through all issues in our release policy. (Please remember that there
> are also other similar issues like the one that we want a newer LSB -
> but that needs also coordination.)

If the release team decides something, then says "we want things like
this", you're putting people in front of a fait accompli. Even if people
disagree with you, you get what the release team decided in the end, so
that the release policy is matched.

> Frankly speaking, the current level of heat makes me reconsider whether
> publishing minutes should be done in future. Of course, _anything_ that
> the release team agrees upon that has effect on other teams will be
> discussed/published/[whatever appropriate] accordingly; nobody is forced
> to read debian-release. However, writing of minutes happens first as we
> can use them as basis for the other mails.

This "minutes" email was presented as a set of decisions taken. In the
case of the python policy, the decision was apparently to discuss it
privately. Things are much less likely to heat if you present them
properly. You could have sent a short email to the debian-python mailing
list, saying "we'd like to see this and that in the python policy",
starting a constructive discussion. (Well, not all discussions become
constructive, but you get a better chance this way.)

> Finally, if the release team can't make a meeting and discuss about the
> release teams opinion on issues connected with the release of the next
> stable release of Debian without being toasted from (at least) two
> sides, than there is something rotten in this state called Debian.

I'd be the wrong person to criticize IRC meetings. However we're talking
about a policy which affects hundreds of packages; that's not something
you can discuss in private with a few selected people.